Friday, September 3, 2021

Golden Memories

The hobby has transformed so much over the years and to me has taken a downward spiral as time has gone on.

 
Luckily for me, I still have my Golden Memories of what the hobby once was.

And thanks to blog reader Oren, today's post will help you remember as well.

First, whatever happened to actual Game Used jersey cards? Most relic cards today are either manufactured, player worn, or not even guaranteed to be worn by a player at any event or specific location. Most are probably worn around the office by the employees and then cut up. If the swatches show some dirt, that's probably because they were given to the construction workers just outside the building to give it some "flair".

Why even bother producing them at this point? Just give us autographs!

It's not like this Curtis Martin game used jersey card from 2001,

That actually showcases the jersey they cut up to make the swatch on the front.

Heck, the card is even numbered, we rarely see that with relic cards today unless they are parallel of some sort.

And Upper Deck, what happened to my favorite card company. Oh, that's right, leagues got greedy and turned the hobby into a monopoly (not even the good board game kind) and gave the licenses to two companies which has since changed to one company.

 

 


Upper Deck sure made some remarkable cards. That's why I go back and add some whenever I can.

Next up, inserts. I don't expect companies to match what the 90's brought to us in both design and rarity in the inserts, but I expect some effort. I know they aren't worth what they used to be, but they still can be if created properly.


These are just simple designed inserts from the 90's that still outdo what is made today. Imagine if I had shown a more intense example, I guarantee you guys wouldn't be able to look away.

And then comes the parallels,

 

We don't need 35 different parallels. Just give us a couple, heck, make it look as good as this dufex and give us one parallel. That would make me happy.

And finally, company promos.
Yes, I know Topps does the Home Run challenge which is fun but things like UD Predictor, Fleer Diamond Ink, and this one

 
where you collect points, use them to bid on authentic artwork of the featured player are much more unique and fun. This card is worth 25 points which probably wouldn't have gotten you too far in the bidding process in 1998.

The point of these promos is to get collectors to want and buy more product while being rewarded at the same time.

With so much change in the past 27 years I have been collecting, it's scary to think what the next 27 may bring. I just hope cards continue to be printed on cardboard, if the hobby ever turned all digital, count me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment