Thursday, July 29, 2021

CARDBOARD REVIEW:2020 Topps U.S. Olympic&Paralympic

I will admit I am not much of an Olympic watcher, so bare with me on this one.

But, that doesn't mean I don't root on our country participating in the big games and it doesn't mean I don't collect the cardboard from it.

So seeing Topps release another product based on the Olympics was an easy grab. Just like it was in 2016, which by the way, some singles from that set (specifically Simone Biles) go for a decent amount. These cards are nothing to shake off.

Let's see how I did,

In every box of 2020 Topps U.S. Olympic&Paralympic comes with 24 packs of 8 cards per pack. Each box comes with 3 hits, one guaranteed autograph, and boxes run $120 or so.

BASE:

The base set isn't like the regular flagship, which is nice. I like the design on this and think it fits perfectly for what they were aiming for.


There are 76 cards overall in the base set with some athletes getting two cards. It appears early on that the Nyjah Huston base card is going for decent amount.

PARALLELS
Just like in the 2016 inaugural edition of this set, there are parallels.

Here are this years offerings,
Bronze, Silver, US Flag /299, Gold /99, FoilFractor 1/1.
Bronze that falls 1 per pack

Silver that falls 1:4 packs. It was really hard to spot these unless you looked really close

THESE ARE AWESOME. American Flag parallel /299 fall 1:8 packs

I really dig the American Flag parallels, but think the 2016 parallels which were marked by a medal foil were much better.

INSERTS:
When you don't pull a hit, the packs are pretty standard in order. It goes 6 base, one parallel, then an insert or hit at the bottom of the pack. So if you are opening up the product and you are like myself and like surprises, don't ever look at the bottom card first.

Here are the inserts you can find.
New To The Games is exactly what it says. There are 13 of these to collect in the set.

Olympic Heroes celebrates 20 great athletes.

 
For Pride And Country was my favorite insert design of the group. I think the design is fun and there are 18 cards to collect.

HITS:


 
My first two hits are relics of fencing Alexander Massilass and of swimmer Ryan Murphy.

Speaking of Ryan Murphy, he was also my autograph hit.

OVERALL THOUGHTS
This was a fun break especially not knowing what to expect from it or what names I would see. I didn't actually even know this product was releasing after being delayed last year.

I think the price point isn't too bad looking at most products today with more than one hit. However, I will say there are quite a few duplicates you will get because of the small base card set.

Let me hear your thoughts on this product in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment