Thursday, April 14, 2016

Reminiscing 90's SPECIAL EDITION:1988 Kenner Real Ghostbusters Egon Spengler Screaming Heroes Figure

Alright, I have some explaining to do. Yes, this segment is called, Reminiscing 90's. Yes, this is a toy from 1988. Yes, I do know the difference between 90's and 80's. However, I am making a case for this toy and keeping the segment still 90's because I watched the show mostly in the 90s and it ran from 1986-1991. So in order to make sure I do this right, I am keeping the toys as their real years, but I am coming up with random year of either 1990 or 1991 for the posts. That way it's as close to realistic as I can get and keeping tradition going with the posts.

I think my timing on this upcoming Ghostbusters mania is good due to the new movie releasing this year. I still don't know how I feel about that movie yet as I am one for originals, but we will see.

Thanks for reading and enjoy!

Key notes for April 14th 1990:
April 14th 1990 was a Saturday
George H.W.Bush was President
Most Popular Movie released in April of 1990 was The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover
Most Popular Book around this time was The Bourne Ultimatum by Robert Ludlum
Billboard Hot 100 number-one single on April 14th 1990 was Nothing Compares 2 U by Sinead O'Connor
Most Popular TV Shows: Shannon's Deal and Twin Peaks

FEATURED TOY:
I decided to kick this off with Egon for a few reasons. One, Egon founded Ghostbusters, Inc. along with Doctors Ray Stantz and Peter Venkman. Two, he is considered the brain behind the Ghostbusters and has designed and built nearly all of their equipment. Three, he is the leader to me. Everyone turns Egon for answers and he always comes up with something brilliantly.

This Egon toy is from the cartoon, Real Ghostbusters, not the movie. In some ways the cartoon was a running sequel from the movie.

I picked up this piece on eBay with many others for a cheap lot price. This is also why we are going on a bit of a Ghostbuster streak.
FEATURED CARDS:
When having to pair someone who founded something in the 90's and was a leader, I didn't have to look any further than Michael Jordan. He was the leader of the Bulls, he was someone teammates turned to when trouble arose and he always had an answer. He also founded many championships while playing there and helped create their complete dominance of the 90's.It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that!
I have had these cards for years. They are a 12-card set of 1998 Upper Deck Michael Jordan 3×5 cards from Gatorade. They were a mail in order item from Upper Deck that I got from a family member. I love the foil look with the black facsimile autograph.






 There is still more Ghostbustin' ahead!

Alright, give me your thoughts on Real Ghostbusters series. Did you watch? Who was your favorite ghost?

2 comments:

  1. I watched the cartoon and had many of the toys.. I even had the big headquarters playhouse.. that was pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never watched the cartoon... but I saw the movies. Met Ackroyd at an autograph signing last year and had him sign my Legos Ecto-1 box.

    ReplyDelete