Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Breakin Wax:1996 Playoff Trophy Contenders Football Box

Time to break another box from the auction lot. This time I am breaking my most sought after box from the auction, a 1996 Playoff Trophy Contenders football. Looking on eBay and seeing the average cost of a box for $60 made this box an even more of a wanted rip for the price I paid. What did I pay and what did I pull...well, you are gonna have to view the gallery before you get that answer.

So what are you waiting for?!!

In every box of 1996 Playoff Trophy Contenders there is 24 packs with 6 cards per pack.You should get 4-5 inserts in every box.

The base card design, well, you guessed it, was trophy related. The cardstock is a bit thicker and the cards themselves have a high-end feel.

Back of the card

"Rookie" cards. You didn't see this too often in football, where the cards are marked rookie but are actually not rookies. That's more of a baseball thing.

Foil inserts are nice finds. Mini Back to Backs fall at 1:17 odds. I pulled two. Nobody spectacular, but still cool. And yes, they are mini.

Card 1:

Card 2:

My next insert find was a Rookie Stallions of Zack Crockett. These fall 1:24 or one per box.

Finally, my final pull, 1:24, is a Playoff Zone of Chris Warren.
Overall, not as exciting as I thought it was going to be. It was actually a bit disappointing that left me wanting to bust another to compare. At least my price was good and the cards look nice.

Now for the breakdown. I took the inserts, star players and rookies and got a rough Beckett Book Value for it:

Here is what I paid: $8 for the box
Here is what I roughly got in Beckett Book Value from it:$79

I did okay for what I paid, but I expected so much more in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment