Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Breakin Wax:1997-1998 Topps Basketball Series 2 2-Box Break (2 HITS 1:144)

Yesterday I showed you a break that didn't turn out as well as I thought it would have. So next up in my auction lot Breakin Wax was a bit of a surprise. One thing you gotta love about buying basketball in the 90's was finding MJ. If you found any insert of his you know you were getting your money back.

So did I get any MJ's in this break? Well, as you have heard a million times on here...READ ON!

In every box of 1997-1998 Topps Basketball Series 2 are 36 packs with 11 cards per pack. There is a mixture of rookies and vets in every pack and the occasional insert.

The base cards had a simple design and some pretty impressive photography. Just look at this Jordan shot.

Back of the base card

Even the Rookie Cards have good photography. My only issue with it was not having the rookie logo. I had to check the back of every base card I pulled to see if they were rookies or not.

Minted In Springfield parallels. They fall1:9 packs. I pulled the four per box as they should fall.

New School inserts fall 1:36 or one per box. I got McGrady which isn't at all a bad find.

Inside Stuff inserts fall 1:36, one per box as well. Best I got was Shawn Kemp.

Destiny is pretty cool. The words pop off the card like braille.These fall 1:36 but I only pulled one in two boxes.

Topps 40.These fall 1:12. I got some decent players including 2 Shaqs.

And now for the bigger hits of my box. Box number one came with 2 Generations inserts. One was a base, 1:36, of Stockton and the second was a Shareef Abdur-Rahim refractor version that falls at 1:144!! Toughest pull of the product.

Box number two was as similar as box one. One was a base, 1:36, of Mourning and the second was a Stockton refractor version that falls at 1:144!! Once again, the toughest pull of the product.
Overall, I felt great about this purchase. Great inserts, tough pulls and competed three base sets and brought in 5 Duncan rookies. Lot's to brag about here.

Now for the breakdown. I took the inserts, star players and rookies and got a rough Beckett Book Value for it:

Here is what I paid: $8 for both boxes
Here is what I roughly got in Beckett Book Value from it:$120

These two boxes blew the rest so far out of the water!! However, I must say, the best is still to come!

2 comments:

  1. Even though I have most of the cards already, if I found a box of this set for $8 I would jump on it!

    I pulled the Duncan Generations Refractor from a single pack purchase when the set was new in 1998.

    ReplyDelete