Friday, August 21, 2015

Trade Mail Day From 90's Niche Football Card Blog Part 5: Chevy Chase Autograph!

In the finale from my most recent trade from 90's Niche Football Card Blog , I acquired something quite cool........

THIS!

You can stop drooling now.

This is how I reacted when I got it in hand..

(by the way this is a sketch card from a scene in Christmas Vacation I got it from the Blowout Cards forums a few years ago)

I have been a fan of Chevy's for years so at some point in my life I wanted to add an autograph to my collection. Now, most of his autographs run for $100-$200 for 8x10's but I didn't really want a photo anyways, I wanted a card. So I did some searching. I found two cards on eBay without authenticity with very reasonable prices. Both of the autographs were TTM's according to their sellers. One was the card above, the other was a signed index card. I thought this one looked much cooler so worked out a deal with 90's Niche Football Card blog to help me acquire it.

But, we didn't just go out and buy it. We did some research. First, we checked the autograph with other autographs. Seemed to be a good match. Secondly, I questioned this card because of the XO inscription and wondered if he ever signed anything like that, well, that answer came here:
http://www.historyforsale.com/html/prodetails.asp?documentid=320963&start=65&page=157

Third, I just had to read the description from the seller again to make sure I understood what I was getting. First, they were a VERY high rated seller. Second, they claimed the card came as a "REQUEST THROUGH THE MAIL AND COMES WITH A MONEY BACK GUARANTEE" That alone must be pretty legit. Who would give money back on a fake? But maybe they assume you won't second guess the autograph. Who knows. This was also a reassurance at least in my mind, "I HAVE BEEN COLLECTING AUTOGRAPHS FOR OVER 30 YEARS, MANY OF THEM THROUGH THE MAIL"

Lastly, I looked at it like this, the card was cheap. It was worth the risk/reward to me so why was I stressing so much over it??!!? I WANT IT! So, I got it.

Not sure if I will ever send it in to be verified or not, I have gone back and forth on it. In the meantime however, I am just going to enjoy the card and treat it for the realness I believe it is.

A HUGE thanks goes out to 90's Niche Card Blog for this amazing trade! I look forward to our next one.

Before closing this long article out, while we are on the topic of Chevy Chase, I must say my favorite movie of his and my favorite movie of ALL TIME is Christmas Vacation. It's a yearly tradition that I watch it and I have seen it so many times that I know every line. Just ask my wife hahaha.

So today's topic is simple, one, give me your favorite line from Christmas Vacation or tell me your favorite Chevy Chase movie.

2 comments:

  1. For my favorite quotes from Christmas Vacation I would go with anything that Aunt Bethany says but my favorite Chevy Chase quote from the movie is when he is talking to Todd the neighbor who asks where he is going to put the tree and Clark responds "Bend over and I will show you".

    Favorite movies is difficult, I have been a fan of his since Saturday Night Live but I would have to go with a Top 5
    Caddyshack
    Spies Like Us
    Funny Farm
    Vacation series (Vacation and Christmas being my favorite two)
    Nothing But Trouble

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three Amigos is an all-time favorite of mine. And also Fletch! He's got a lot of good ones.

    Congrats on the auto!

    ReplyDelete